The Puppet Theater in Wroclaw is a place known not only to small audiences but also to adults. This place has been in operation since 1946 when the puppet and drama theater opened, but it wasn’t until 1964 that he took over the construction of the former merchant’s house in pl Tetralny under the leadership of Stanisław Stapf. The building was shared with the Polish-Soviet Friendship Society, and in 1993 the mayor of Wroclaw donated the entire building to the theater.
Since 1967 the theater has had a special section for adults called Mała Stage dla Dorosłych (Small Adult Stage). It became known through the triptych The Phenomenon of Power, which included the performances of Kafka’s Trial, Witkacy’s Gyubal Whazar and Goethe’s Faust.
On the other hand, the Theater for Children runs the Children’s Artists Academy project, which educates the youngest viewers.
Unfortunately, all theatrical performances are currently being canceled due to restrictions related to the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Please see the theater website for more details
In the puppet theater, all organized performances are divided into 3 age categories:
0.5 – 5 years
Teenagers and adults
In addition to the general subdivision, each individual performance has an age limit or recommendation for viewers so we can be sure that our toddler will only see the age-appropriate scenes and that we will not be bored with fairy tales when we go to the show. Some performances are signed in sign language. Look for the appropriate stamp next to it.
There are also puppet theater workshops for children that you can register online. The following types of workshops take place in the Wroclaw Puppet Theater:
The Laboratory for Pedagogy of Teatr-1 set up at the puppet theater aims to carry out pedagogical and theatrical activities. The studio is located in two spacious, renovated rooms adapted to the workshop activity rooms on level -1 of the theater building
The name of the workshop can pique your curiosity. It shows both locations but also reflects the principles of operation of this place.
The studio tries not to discriminate against potential workshop participants. It is intended to involve people with sensory, motor and intellectual disorders, senior citizens and residents of small towns in the joint theater activity.
– take a child’s perspective:
This is not a place where adults rule and children must submit. Here is a place for discussions on an equal footing.
We focus on human, not material, capital. When we create art, we rely on cheap materials and often give everyday objects a second life.
A space for workshops is reserved for:
Target group organization office
71 335 49/11/12/49
The classic Zwinger (i.e. the building that now houses the puppet theater) was designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans in 1767 as the Association of the Poultry Brotherhood, which gave way to the seat of the Union of Christian Merchants in 1880. In 1892 Zwinger was demolished in connection with plans to expand what is now Teatralna Street and mark Teatralny Square. However, the merchants managed to reach an agreement with the city, they received compensation for the demolished seat and announced a competition for a new building.
Today’s theater building was built in the neo-baroque style according to the design of the winners of the competition – Paul Kieschke and Richard Bielenberg – in the years 1892-1894 and expanded 1905-1909 according to an earlier design by Albert Grau. On the east side of the building, a spacious terrace connects it with the promenade along the moat in the direction of today’s old town garden (formerly Copernicus Park) and the pannier bastion on a hill that is now known as Partyzantów Hill.
Just before World War II, the beautiful neo-baroque interiors were rebuilt in accordance with the architectural style of the Third Reich. After the war, the building became the seat of the Polish-Soviet Friendship Society and – from 1965 – the Chochlik State Puppet Theater. Only in 1999 the city authorities agreed to give the building over to the theater. At that time, the interior of the building was rebuilt, adapting it to the needs of the new host. Six years later, the sandstone covering the façade was renovated. In 2006, a fountain with dwarfs, designed by Paweł Pawlak, was erected in front of the entrance to the building. In 2010, the park adjacent to the theater was restored in the style of a pre-war municipal garden.
Child free in the puppet theater
The puppet theater has performances dedicated to adults only, which is why it is a special zone called child-free. The repertoire includes the following performances:
MAPETS – who saw it?
Kazio Sponge TALK SHOW
SAM or preparation for family life
Ashes accumulate in the middle of the sun
We encourage all adult readers to watch these dedicated performances.